I have been blogging for one year. If you knew how resistant I was to the very idea of writing a blog, you would know what a long way I’ve come. Tom still teases me that I didn’t want to spend the $100 to start my blog on WordPress – I didn’t want to waste money on something I wasn’t sure I even wanted to do. Now, I couldn’t imagine not blogging. Sure as the World is a place – it is a community, a creative outlet and a virtual scrapbook of our days. Not bad for a Benjamin.
I have written before about how I choose what I write about in this space. At the time I wrote that post, I was new to blogging, both reading and writing. In the time since, I have come to see the need for a bit more transparency in my posts. I have a pretty long lag time between what happens during any given day and when I post about it here. I like the perspective such time allows. The vicissitudes of parenting and homeschooling are enormous sometimes. I don’t like the ’round and ’round in my own head, nor the ups and downs in my own home and certainly wouldn’t want to subject you to them. However I think this is all part of the ride, and therefore part of the conversation. I am trying to figure out how to share more of the bumps in the road; the posts Doubt and When in Doubt were a step in this direction. Thank you all for receiving those words with such kindness and empathy.
Before I move on to another year of blogging, I wanted to take a short stroll down memory lane with a brief retrospective. Here are my top 5 favorite posts from this past year. They are completely random and subjective.
- What’s in a name? This was my first post and I will not admit how long it took me to write it. I still love it.
- Farm Cred This is a day I always want to remember.
- Testing This was a true story and helps me keep true to what is important.
- What Waldorf Looks Like in My Home This was how I got involved in Waldorf Wednesday – such a wonderful sense of community there.
- #43 This post was like a party – so much fun to write and all the comments were fantastic.
I also have a new About page which is kinda fun – although those things are always slightly weird and very hard to write. Whatever – it’s up and I’m moving on. Happy Birthday Sure as the World! Looking forward to another year.