Well our plans for May went out the window in a blurr of coughing, congestion and general malaise, however, I was determined to rescue so semblance of normalcy this week and finish our US Geography block with a mini block dedicated to the seashore. It just so happens that we are leaving for a slightly impromptu beach trip this weekend, and that will provide lots of experiential learning . . . otherwise known as fun!
- Stories From Where We Live – The South Atlantic Coast and Piedmont: A Literary Field Guide edited by Sara St. Antoine
- Pagoo by Holling Clancy Holling
- Heritage of America Cookbook by Better Homes and Gardens
- A House for Hermit Crab by Eric Carle
We live about 5 hours from the coast, and although we try to get to the beach twice a year, we have never studied this area in any formal way. I love the Stories From Where We Live series of books edited by Sara St. Antoine and you will hear more about them in my recap of our entire US Geography block soon. However, I wanted to pull out this mini block because I think it can be easily modified for any coastal area in the US, as the series edited by St. Antoine also includes The California Coast, The North Atlantic Coast and The Gulf Coast. Pagoo by Holling Clancy Holling tells the story of tide pools through the vantage point of a hermit crab. All of his books are highly recommended for 4th graders homeschooling with Waldorf, and I would expand that notion to endorse them as exceptional reading for any child around this age. Although I have chosen to present Pagoo as a read-aloud during this mini-block, I think the language and the numerous scientific illustrations lend themselves more to a “quiet-corner-by-yourself” type of read. A House for Hermit Crab by Eric Carle, on the other hand, does make a good read-aloud, especially for younger siblings.
- Mapping the route from our house to the beach.
- Studying South Carolina low country cuisine by reading and gathering recipes to make while we are at the beach.
- Going to the beach.
- Visiting the Charleston Aquarium.