I will be teaching Grade 1 and Grade 5 next year. You can find my plans, lists and resources – such as they are – in the pages in this category. From these notes, I have formed my Grade 1 Layout. As we progress through the year, I will be posting our experiences with the individual blocks. Please see the pages in this category as a gathering place of my ideas and such. I will not be doing everything – probably not half!
Because my posts (here, here, here, here) on my in-progress planning are slightly stream of consciousness, I will attempt to list the steps I have taken so far. First I try to get an overview of both grades, then an overview of specific subjects (language arts, math, science). After this big picture planning is done, I will get specific with individual blocks. I hope this provides a better idea of my process.
- Listened to grade overview audios by Donna Simmons (Christopherus) and Melisa Nielsen (Waldorf Essentials).
- Read through Christopherus Homeschooling Overview. Marked sections relevant to next year.
- Listened to grade overview audios again, this time taking notes.
- Began Form Drawing Workshop included in Thinking, Feeling, Willing program (Waldorf Essentials).
- Read through Christopherus Living Language twice. Marked appropriate sections for next year.
- Checked out books from the library related to Ancient Mythologies. Looking through them.
- Read Christopherus Nature Stories to Natural Science. Marked appropriate sections for next year.
- Read Christopherus Grade 1 Syllabus. Getting more detailed in planning the blocks for Jude.
- Listened to Howard Schrader’s interview on the 2012 Global Waldorf Expo. So inspiring!!!
- Read Eric Fairman’s Path of Discovery Volume 1.
- Ordered a couple of books for upcoming blocks from waldorfbooks.com.
- Rearranging, de-cluttering, organizing the schoolroom with an eye toward teaching 2 main lessons.
- Read Joyful Movement by Donna Simmons.
- Filling out monthly pages with ideas for verses, movement, poetry, read-alouds, etc.
- Going back through the resources that I marked up and plugging the information into our monthly blocks.
- Listened to Melisa Nielsen’s planning intensive audio.
- Streamlining my plans and trying to work on daily rhythm for the fall.
- Planning daily lessons for Grade 1. My goal is to finish this before I leave for Taproot on August 2. Wish me luck!
- Mission accomplished! Grade 1 planning finished!
- Attended Taproot Teacher Training. Concentrated on Grade 5.
- Planning daily lessons for Grade 5.